Sunday, January 9, 2011

about that cupboard

at one time I think it was in some anonymous old guy's garage
a much used, much abused cabinet
it was made for puttering
it's really rickety and has mismatched hinges peeling paint and tons of nail holes
just the sort of thing someone in Orange County would pay $500 for
and in Washington State you would find by the side of the road


it's my art cupboard


I painted it with a scandinavian inspired motif (a la Carl Larsson)


I am thankful for doors that close
as it occupies a messy corner of the house
... MY mess though ...


I sometimes use it as a backdrop for photographing my work



the cupboard 
(or "shed" as we affectionately call it)
was a wedding gift
(an overpriced Orange County one)
and I dearly love it
it's the perfect space for all my junk
just as it used to be for some anonymous old guy out there
it was made for puttering
it was made for me
:)






12 comments:

Gayle Price said...

I love your cupboard and totally relate to it. I have something similar, not nearly so shabbily pretty but old, quaint and exceedingly useful for storing and hiding all my "creating" stuff. Heres to cupboards, just made for puttering !

Poetic Artist said...

I love your cupboard..I also have one kinda like yours..Some man had it in the back of his truck going to burn it. I saved it and it now keeps a lot of my treasures..lol.
Katelen

Dianne said...

I love your cupboard! I have a "half hoosier" cabinet in my studio that I just adore... I'll have to post about it sometime.

Carola Zajdman said...

This is so great, love the painting, all purpose cupboard !

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've always loved that cupboard. You amaze me that you can get all your art supplies in it. But it's always neat whenever you open the doors. And I know what you mean by being able to putter and not worry about hurting it.

rebecca said...

sweet and perfect...
for so many reasons.

ShabbyChicShaz said...

Your cupboard is fabulous, love it

Halle said...

Love that cupboard! So cool that you keep all your supplies close at hand yet out of sight.

Yvonne said...

I love your old cupboard. I have an old armoir that I've been thinking of redoing, and you have given me inspiration. Those motifs would look great on kitchen cabinets too. Thanks for sharing this.

~*~Patty S said...

beautiful cupboard full of creativity and wonder Kimmie ... just perfect!

Karl Larsen is a fav of mine too

oxo

sukipoet said...

wonderful cupboard. i adore Carl Larsson and have several books showing his home and the marvelous decorative furniture and walls. Your cupboard works so well to keep you tidy and shabby genteel.

Unknown said...

I applaud you for restricting your "mess" to one fabulous cupboard! I am spilled all over my studio, have annexed the back porch and now am hiding stuff in the basement. heehee

This is one lovely piece of furniture!