Monday, May 4, 2015

making faces

I've been making garden fairies  and needed some good faces - let me show you what I learned ....


I began with magazine pictures

And used this old template I have for making circles:

I use the circle to crop in REALLY close on the features (this is good old Martha)

What I learned:
Cropping super close is what gives you the PERFECT sun or moon face.

I cut away all the non-essential stuff like ears, hair, neck, forehead,  chin. The closer in you crop, the more moonlike it comes out.

Here's my collection:

And here are the garden fairies I've made so far ....
They have so much personality, I've given them each a name.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I love those!

Anonymous said...

OMG these are fabulous, now who guards what plant with their fairy magic? xox

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

vERY cute!

Aine said...

Looking for inchies, I came across your blog and ended up spending over an hour here. I notice that your post have been slowly declining each year since you started. I hope to encourage you to keep up with this blog. You are very talented, informative and fun to read. It's exciting to find a blog with revisiting and I have found that in yours. A+

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind words, Aine. I am just in a quiet season lately and very focused on personal matters. My blog is dear to me, and is patiently waiting for my full attention again. I appreciate the encouragement. You are kind to take the time with a stranger such as myself. Hugs, kimmie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Those are very cool! I don't think I'd want a garden fairy of Martha staring at me, though.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Very cool! :)

Gberger said...

The fairies are awesome- I might like to put family faces in them, and plant them by a favorite vegetable or flower - beets for dad, chives for mom, and so on.

Fay said...

YOU lovely face Icons are just so lovely. Did you use individual hand stamps to make the borders? The designs just make them so special. Love what you do in your days. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Hi Fay - the border is a soft aluminum that I've embossed with an embossing tool. So glad you're inspired :)

Unknown said...

Hi Fay - the border is a soft aluminum that I've embossed with an embossing tool. So glad you're inspired :)